Your Current Sales-Pitch Strategy Is Why You Aren’t Winning New Business

Your Current Sales-Pitch Strategy Is Why You Aren’t Winning New Business

Too often sales people fall into the habit of delivering “canned” presentations to their prospects. At each and every meeting with a potential client, the reps deliver the same message the same way—regardless of the prospect’s size, goals, sector, etc. Further, these meeting always starts out the same way: with the seller’s company giving a brief history of their organization, introducing the members of their team, and explaining why they are the “firm of choice.”

This approach fails the account for the most crucial aspect of the meeting: determine exactly what is important to the prospect. In many cases, when information is presented in the manner described above, the prospect will listen politely and thank you for your time; but when it comes down to making a choice, the buyer is going to go with the company that is the best fit and best conveyed how they will meet the client’s needs.

So how do you make sure you’ve touched on all the key elements that are important to your prospect? Utilize these four best practices to ensure potential clients pick you to manage their staffing and recruiting needs.

 

Tailor Your Presentation Based on the Individual Prospect

First, throw away your “canned” presentation. Sure, there are important things that make your company who it is, and you’ll want to mention of those things, but there is a time and place for it in your presentation, and it is certainly not in the beginning. By tailoring your presentation to each individual prospect, you won’t need to have an out-of-the-box presentation.
 

Listen More Than You Speak

Your objectives should be to uncover the needs of your prospect, and illustrate how you will meet those needs if you were selected as their new partner. This will help you to stand out from your competitors and make the choice easy for the customer. Instead of starting the meeting by discussing your company, follow the 80/20 rule: listen 80% of the time, and save the talking for the other 20%. Remember, if the buyer has agreed to meet with you in the first place, they already view you as credible, so it’s not necessary to spend time talking about why you are the best choice.

You’ll want to find out what exactly it is they would like to get out of their relationship with a staffing or recruiting agency. Everyone’s needs are different and not everyone buys with the same mindset, so this isn’t an area where you’ll want to make assumptions. For some, a transactional relationship is all they are looking for, while others prefer the consultative approach.
 

Do Your Homework (And Show Them You’ve Done So)

It’s never wise to go into a meeting blindly and hope that all goes well. Don’t just know what you’re going to ask—try to anticipate what the customer is going to ask you so that you can prepare your responses. To do this in an effective way, create a prospect agenda that considers what points would be important in the decision-making process for your potential buyer. When crafting your prospect agenda, think about what you want to learn about the client, and what you want to make sure they learn about you; decide what the takeaways should be and what action steps will follow the meeting.

After you’ve put together the customized outline, send it to your prospect ahead of the meeting. Let them know that you’ve created an agenda, and would like their input to ensure all the relevant items are included. Not only does this help differentiate you from the other firms, it helps give the prospect a feeling of ownership. If they see you’re taking an interest in what’s important to them, they’ll listen when it’s your turn to talk.
 

Make Sure to Do a Post-Meeting Follow Up

After the meeting has taken place, be sure to touch base with the client! During this time, make your prospect aware that you heard what they had to say in the meeting, and that you are able to meet their expectations. This is an opportunity where you can talk about yourself; you can even offer supporting information that will keep the decision making process moving (i.e. case studies, testimonials, references, etc.).

When selling to potential clients, put them first will help differentiate you from your competition. If you can show your prospects out the gate that you have the ability to listen to their pain points and meet their needs, you’re more likely to be top of mind when it’s time for them to select a firm.